Wednesday 11 February 2015

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes


Hey guys!

I meant to post this last week, but I got so caught up in my uni work I never had the chance!

Baking is one of my all time favourite things to do, and I had a free night last weekend and decided to make some cookies and cream cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home cookbook:


This book seriously has the yummiest recipes


The Sponge Recipe:

70g unsalted butter, softened
170g plain flour
250g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder, sifted
1tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
210ml whole milk
2 large eggs
12-16 cookies (I used maryland cookies)


If you wanted your cupcakes to be even better, you could bake your own cookies and then put those into your cupcakes. Cookies are the one thing that I consistently fail at baking, one day I will get the hang of them, but until then, i'll be using maryland cookies or oreos haha

First pre-heat your oven to 170'C and prepare your muffin cases. The recipe makes 12-16 cupcakes, I used the recipe to make 12 and they were the perfect size. I had just found these little flower cases and I thought they were adorable so I had to use them:


I always start my cake mixes by creaming together the sugar and the butter


Then add the flour, cocoa sugar, baking powder until you get crumbs (teeny tiny crumbs in my case)


Mix the eggs and milk together in a separate bowl and add gradually, making sure you scrape the edges of the bowl as you go to mix it all together, you get what looks like the fluffiest yummiest mousse ever:


Then you need to spoon your mixture into the bun cases (I find using an ice-cream scoop makes the whole process a lot easier!) and get out your cookies and break them into four pieces each


Then put the four quarters of each cookie into a cupcake!


How good do they look?!

Bake until the top is springy (I think it recommends 30 minutes?) I ended up baking them for around 45-50 minutes and they turned out so well!



Then I just topped them with a simple buttercream made from icing sugar, butter and little whole milk and iced away!


I think really I just wanted to use the new piping set I found in the kitchen...


Then I just crumbled up some of the cookies I had left, and it was as simple as that!



Have you ever used a recipe book from the Hummingbird Bakery?

You can find the one I used here (not sponsored I just really love this book)

What's your favourite thing to bake? Would you ever make these?

Love, Amylou x

8 comments:

  1. cookies and cream cupcakes!? these sound delicious! thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were so good, I would definitely recommend them! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these look and sound incredible! I've got a Hummingbird Bakery recipe book and all of the recipes I've tried from that have turned out AMAZING so I will definitely have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! :) Hummingbird bakery recipes are so good aren't they! I'd definitely recommend these! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't go wrong with the Hummingbird Cookbooks, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! My mouth is totally watering!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are always great recipes! Thanks! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They were so good, I can't wait to make them again! :) xx

    ReplyDelete