Friday 5 December 2014

Blogmas Day Five: Christmas Films!



Hey guys!

Today I thought i'd share with you some of my all time favourite christmas films! I love to light the fire, cosy up on the sofa with a hot chocolate in my christmas PJs watching christmas films.

Elf (2003)


Elf is my all time favourite christmas film. If you haven't seen it you need to. It's amazing.Will Ferrell just emcompasses everything that is christmas in his Buddy the Elf character. It's about a baby in an orphanage who crawls into Santa's sack on Christmas Eve and ends up at the North Pole and gets raised by elves, 30 years later he sets off to New York to find his family. If I could have his breakfast of spaghetti with syrup, sugar and chocolate, I would. I'd probably have no teeth left, but i'd be the happiest girl in the world.


How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)


This film is an extremely close second. So so good, there is no one that could have played this character better than Jim Carrey. Such a heartwarming film and Taylor Momsen is so cute as Cindy Lou. It's about a town inside a snowflake called Whoville, and all the Who's love Christmas except for the Grinch who hates it and wants to steal it from everyone else. The grinch is a mean one, but he understands the feeling of not having anything to wear on a night out:


The Holiday (2006)


Such an amazing film. I don't know if it's a christmas film, or just a film set over christmas but either way, it's the best. The musical score of this film is my favourite ever too. Maestro by Hans Zimmer is so beautiful, and one of my favourite songs ever. A story of two women who need a break from their lives so they trade houses, cars, friends, everything for 2 weeks, and they find exactly what they need from each other. I love it.

Home Alone (1990)


Home Alone is such a classic christmas film. It was released 2 years before I was born and I remember watching it growing up and thinking how fun it looked to play all those pranks! But it was also a bit scary that he could be left alone like that! It's about a family who are going away for Christmas, but forget about Kevin the youngest who is left home alone and he has to deal with burglars who are trying to get in his house thinking it's empty. 

Love, Actually (2003)


I always forget that Love, Actually is a Christmas film! I love it so much, it's one of those films with lots of stories of different characters and they all cross over into each other. It's just so sweet. Something i've always remembered from this film is it's opening, it starts with a scene in the arrivals gate of Heathrow Airport talking about love. It's something i've always loved, seeing people picking up loved ones, or waiting for family that they haven't seen in months. All you can see in their faces is happiness and love, and it's beautiful.

Such a heartwarming film, and one you have to watch, it isn't weepy, it's funny and just puts a big smile on your face.

The Santa Clause (1994)


credit

This is another amazing Christmas film, Tim Allen hears santa on the roof of his house and goes outside and scares him, making him fall off the roof, he then disappears leaving only the suit and instructions to put it on in case of an emergency. He then ends up going around the city and elves tell him he is santa and he thinks it's all a dream, but it isn't. I was 2 when this came out and it's another film I grew up watching, and absolutely loving.

Miracle on 34th Street (1994)


credit

Another amazing film, Susan the little girl doesn't believe in Santa Claus as her mother told her the 'secret' that he isn't actually real, but she helps out Mr Claus anyway, and it's such a magical film. Such a feel good film, and another one that I grew up watching. I don't know how many new christmas films come out each year, but I think most people end up watching the films they grew up with, for me anyway, they hold such good memories!

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)


credit

The songs in this film are so catchy, you watch it once and you'll be singing them for a week, but they are so good. I didn't realise how old this film was until I just looked it up! I think I was in high school the first time I saw it, and I've watched it every year since. Jack Skeleton is the pumpkin king of Halloween Town and he is bored of doing the same thing all the time and one day he stumbles across Christmas town and tries to take the idea of Christmas home, but they don't quite get it. A great film.

The Life of Brian (Monty Python) (1979)


credit

I don't know if this is technically a christmas film, but apparently it is, so i'm putting it on my list! This is such a great film, it has a very British sense of humour, so I don't think it is to everyone's tastes, but it's a classic. Brian is born on Christmas day in a stable next door to Jesus, and spends his whole life being mistaken for the messiah, but according to his mother 'he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!'

Have you ever watched any of these films? Did I leave any of your favourites off of my list?

Love Amylou x

Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin' | Tumblr | Pinterest

8 comments:

  1. Miracle on 34th street is my all time favourite Christmas film, I watch it every Christmas eve without fail! I also completely love Home Alone and Elf too! Christmas films are the best!

    Sophie x | sophhskii.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection! I haven't seen love actually but really want to, and I absolutely love the holiday. One of my favourite films ever!

    Kathryn from This Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  3. ELF is a great christmas movie, I actually watched it the other day. I also love The Holiday and Love Actually, they're such feel good movies.

    Hayley \\ CompassToGuide

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elf is the best Christmas film! They really are feel good films, I watch them all year round, I love the music in the holiday! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely should watch love actually! It's such a feel good movie, just makes you happy! The holiday is so good isn't it, I watch it all the time! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love miracle on 34th street, I watch it every year too! I love the Christmas films that manage to capture the magic of Christmas, and you really feel her starting to believe and it's so cute! Christmas films really are the best! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Holiday and Love Actually look like movies I'd enjoy! Going to go search for them on Netflix now :D

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are amazing! You'll have to let me know what you think of them! :) xx

    ReplyDelete