Wednesday 31 December 2014

Goodbye 2014, Hello 2015

Hey guys!

It's been a while! I failed miserably at blogmas didn't I! Once i'd missed a day I couldn't get back into it and so just spent the time away from my blog, but i've missed it!

I decided to start writing again with a little round-up of the last year, and looking forward to next year. It's going to be a bit personal, so if you're going to comment please keep it nice! I just wanted to document how far i've come this year, and even if it's not a big deal to some of you, it is to me :) It's also going to be pretty long!

2014 was both the worst and best year of my life so far, both at the same time.


I won't say I regret the choices I made this year, because you shouldn't regret things that once made you happy, but I will say I should have thought a lot harder about my decisions.

I don't want to dwell on the past so i'll make the bad parts a short one! haha

This year I was taken for granted, cheated on, forced out of my beautiful house near my uni in the lakes and had to move 100 miles away, I was messed around, had my heart broken a few times and was dumped by my boyfriend of almost 4 years who i'd pretty much centered my life around (stupid I know).

At the time, I didn't take it well, though to be honest by the end I had no tears left and cried less after we were done than when we were still together. Which was a huge wake up call! Though it was after we'd broken up that I found out he'd been cheating on me with a work colleague. For 6 months. Even though we lived together.

That I took even less well, it made me sick to my stomach, I never wanted to get out of bed and I pretty much didn't eat for about 2 months, I made myself really ill and lost 2 and a half stone (16kg). But then I bucked up my ideas and realised what a bullet i'd dodged.


I realised I was worth more than that, and this is where the good parts of 2014 start!

I gained so much more confidence this year. Confidence in myself. I started the year always wondering what other people were thinking of me, how could I give the best impression, but this year i've realised, all that matters is that i'm happy (and not doing anything bad to other people obviously). 

If I want to experiment with dark lipsticks, or bright reds, why not? If I want to dye my hair blonde and then red a few weeks later, go for it. It doesn't matter if it suits me, or if someone else doesn't like it, it's what makes me happy and that's what counts.

I haven't felt so confident or free to do what I want in such a long time. I love it.

I've learnt to be more resilient too this year, and be more flexible with change. I had to move 100 miles away from my university, and I decided to change the entire topic of my masters when I was already half way through so I wouldn't get annoyed writing it every day, and it's been absolutely fine! I was incredibly stressed about the travelling, but i've gotten used to staying in guest rooms and hotels and with friends now!

I've also made quite a few new friends this year, friends that I hope to be close to for years to come, both at uni and at home. Friends that inspire me in so many different ways, in their desire to learn things, travel to new places and just make the world a happier place. And i'm thankful to meet every one of them.


And of course i've had some of the best memories this year with Lauren and Jo. I didn't see them as much this year as Jo lives in London, Lauren in Lancaster and me in Yorkshire, but when we did I had the best time. Especially winter wonderland which I hope becomes a tradition. I can't even pinpoint a specific moment from that weekend, but I just remember thinking how happy I was with them both, and how I wanted to feel like that as much as possible.

I also travelled to Mexico this year, and it was so beautiful! The sand was so white and the water so clear I was in awe. Unfortunately I discovered I don't actually like mexican food and pretty much lived off nutella crepes for 2 weeks, but it was still amazing. So many cocktails, so many pool games, such a good family holiday!

And of course a huge thing is that I started this blog in 2014! My first post I believe was about my new years resolutions, most of which I probably failed at. I've loved writing this blog, i've gotten to interact with so many other bloggers, been invited to events and openings and i've loved every second. 

I'm also only a couple of views away from 10,000 which I think is just crazy. For some that might not seem like a lot, but to me it's amazing. Last month I had over a thousand views, and to think that this time last year I didn't have a blog at all, it just baffles me. So even though most of the time I just write rubbish, thank you for wanting to read it!

And with that, let's look forward to next year!


I don't have any specific goals for 2015 in mind really.

I just want to be happy. 

Whilst it would be nice to finish my masters with a distinction, get my own flat, move down south, get a new car and have the best job, all I want is to know that I did my best and that I carried on believing in myself. Though a gym membership probably wouldn't go amiss haha.

So lets just say:

1. I want to finish my masters knowing I put everything into it and tried my hardest.

2. I want to spend more time on my blog and my photography.

3. I want to visit at least 3 places i've never been before.

And that's it! :)

Thank you for reading my little (long) post about my year, and thank you for reading my blog this year!

Have you written a round-up of your year? Leave it in the comments i'd love to read it! :)

Love, Amylou x


4 comments:

  1. Megan Does Beauty31 December 2014 at 12:24

    This post was so lovely. Sorry to hear the start of your year was so awful, I experienced a lot of similar things in 2013. Good to know you've got through it, people that are experiencing similar things will definitely take comfort in that. Sometimes life's plan is so different from the plan you had for yourself. But you just need to learn that it's probably for the best and to just make the most of the situation you're in.

    Hope you have a great 2015
    Megan
    http://megandoesbeauty1.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek, sorry about the boyfriend cheating on you. What a jerk. >_< Glad you had a nice time in Mexico... I LOVE Mexican food... well, I'm Mexican so it would be weird if I didn't lol good luck with all of your goals, I hope you have a wonderful 2015! :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was indeed! I loved Mexico, so beautiful! I think it's because I make it myself at home, but obviously you can make it just how you like it, then when I went over there it was much spicier and I can't handle much spice haha! Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful 2015 too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it was bad at the time, but I honestly feel so much better now, like a whole new person :) Thanks for commenting I hope you have a great 2015 too! :) xx

    ReplyDelete